Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 270: "Over It"

OYLPA Day 270: "Over It" by klodhie
OYLPA Day 270: "Over It", a photo by klodhie on Flickr.
As my younger but quite blunt sister would say, I'm "over it"; at least some days. By "it" I mean the whole taking a picture every day thing, as well as the trying to make every day seem meaningful thing. I love taking photos because I love to capture moments happening naturally, but when I know in the back of my mind every day that I must capture something or another in order to say something or another about it, the charm is gone.

Yes, there are the days still that I have an adventure and truly wish to capture, but there are more days that I'd rather just not (those are the days I cop out and use my cell to take a picture). Today's picture choices were this photo of me momentarily watching "Parent Trap" (a picture which was then immediately sent to sister to make her jealous), and a picture of my father wearing a du-rag while making tea. Although the latter is by far my favorite of the week (if not my life), I thought I might be taking too many liberties if I were to post it.

I have also been wondering, in terms of those of you who have been following me for a while now (thank you and I don't know how you do it!), what you must think about my life these past few months: are the moments of each day that I choose to share the entirety of the story? What sort of moments do I actually decide I should share, and which are those that I feel I cannot? We all censor our lives in some way or another, but when you have to pick one moment out of every day of your life, which do you choose, and why?

I must confess, while I may post pictures of television screens or flowers or what not, there is always in the background a running story of family and politics and health issues and stress about marriage and concern about friends and the good news of babies born and people engaged and all the latest news from Pakistan and how Pakistan's current government is always finding new ways to disappoint and cheat its own people while here and there too we are all striving to see it prosper again, working against the grain for it. All those stories I feel that either I cannot share or would not want to bore you with, as these are all issues that run through all of our lives. Yet these are also the things that make up the bulk of our lives and the ones that affect our lives the most sometimes, the happiness and the stress associated with each. Most stories are those that are not only mine to share, but they exist and they weave their way in and out of my life, and yours.

Today I'll leave you with a quite random but fun clip a friend (thanks H.!) shared with me, of an eleven-piece jazz orchestra, Brooklyn Qawwali Party, honoring legendary Pakistani qawwali artist Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in a rendition of "Mustt Mustt":


No comments:

Post a Comment