Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 197: SFMOMA


OYLPA Day 197: SFMOMA, originally uploaded by klodhie.

Thurs., April 14, 2011
(See all photos from SFMOMA here)

A day mostly spent at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; a day mostly spent thinking to myself, "I don't get it...". I tried, I swear I tried to understand a lot of the "Concept Art," but people, an entire plain white wall with a few strokes of baby blue paint on it (as if someone was testing the color), as art? I know it's conceptual, but come on.

I do have to say though that I found some pieces quite spectular, like the above work by Elliott Hundley titled "Agave." The image is covered with hundreds and hundreds of pins and images for quite an incredible effect. There was another piece by Shazia Sikandar, born and raised in Lahore, Pakistan, titled "Sinxay: Narrative as Dissolution #2." The work is part of a series of 8 paintings, their base a Laotian poem passed down orally through generations since the 16th century. This particular painting includes pieces of the poetic text in various script forms made illegible by swirly patterns, the effect of which is a commentary on "...the ways that cultural understanding of sacred texts shifts over time."

Ended the day with time to catch up with a friend and do some final prep for tomorrow's interview! Let's see how this goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment